Saturday, February 21, 2015

Like a grain of wheat we must die to bear fruit

When I say die,I don't mean in the way that extremist do.  When I say die I mean to ourselves.  We have to let who we are die and let God transform us into what he wants us to be.  This is scary, we want to be who we are, but so does God, but God wants us to be who we really are, who he created us to be.

Dying to ourselves and our scared, selfish, lonely desires is hard.  It's like letting God strip us of our skin, our outer shell that has grown hard.  He knows that under all that hard is the real free self that is all pink and new, but we know our old hard self and are afraid of the new self.  If I know that the self I am is a failure because I don't try, am too afraid to try, I can tell myself that if I only tried I would be someone great.  I am comfortable in that feeling that I fail only because I won't try.  God wants me to strip off that old self of not trying, not doing His word only believing in it.  If I try, I may still fail.

If I truly believe in God I have to believe that even in my failure something good will come from it.  If I am not called to reach a lot of people maybe by doing what he asks I will reach one  person and if that person is saved then I have born fruit, but also maybe by trying I will inspire others to try and they will say I can at least do better than that.  The thing is that God calls us to try and until the day we die we will never really know the results of what we do but still I have to believe that by trying we benefit.

By trying we get to know ourselves better.  We learn to be more compassionate because we know how hard it is to push out past who we thought we were and we know how hard that will be for others.  We may lose our fear, or at least some of it, but we have to pray for that.  We can't do this alone, we have to lean on God or we will fail and we will grow in fear.  Pray, often.

No comments: