Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Love of God - Love is the thing

I was asked how can I judge what other Christians have done.  For the most part I can't.  I don't know what is in their hearts but at times it is evident.  Love is the thing, love for God and love for others is how you can judge your own actions.  When we act out of fear, jealousy, or hatred we are not acting in way God desires.  Our God is not simply a God of rules.  We don't love God by following His commandments but we love God so we follow His commandments.  Those do not know God and don't follow his commandments do not sin as much as those who know Him and love Him.  In little things our sins are greater than theirs in greater matters in part at least because when we don't act out of love we drive the non-believers farther from faith.  We might be tempted to blame the non-believers actions on the devil but I would say we do more good for hell when we call ourselves Christian but act out of hatered and fear.  Indeed tore,ember this when I amateur work and things don't go my way.   I wear a crucifix and if I act unjustly or rashly in the eyes of my co-workers I am acting like all Christians do.  We are not and never will be perfect.  We can repair much of the hurt we do by owning our faults, apologizing, and working to make reparations.  If you are wondering how you should respond to a situation remember this, Love is the thing.  Act out of love for the other and you can't go wrong.  But until you love yourself as God loves you, then you can't truly love others.

Keep in mind, love is not a soft thing.  It isn't cute and cuddly.  Love is hard and often painful.  It isn't easy to Love.  It means putting ourselves out there.  It means not doing the easy simple or even popular thing.  True love means telling the truth and can make others uncomfortable.  It means embracing the lepers of our world, praying for terrorists, caring for addicts, and doing good to those who hurt and hate you.  It takes bravery.  Don't forget our model is Christ who died for those cursed him, betrayed him, and abandoned him.

No comments: