Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Encountering Jesus and Mary

This past Saturday was the anniversary of the death of a man I greatly respected, Dr Ed Shirley, theologian and professor at St Edwards University.  Ed used to tell a story of encountering Jesus and Mary on the bus one day that I always had a hard time with.  Jesus and Mary were homeless people who shared their breakfast with Ed.  On Saturday I had a similar encounter.

I was at Our Lady of Guadalupe parish in Austin for our regular Secular Franciscan meeting and I was outside with another Secular Franciscan when a man came by in some distress.  I don't know for sure what was wrong and he may have been high or sick.  We were having Mass so I got him a bottle of water and left it for him.  He had laid down and looked like he was sleeping.  I thought about him during Mass and prayed for him.

After Mass I got him some food and put out by the water.  We were praying a Holy Hour and I offered my prayers for him but still felt the need to do something else.  I went outside and pryed near him.  I have done this before but never have I done this and felt such peace.  Normally a battle is set up with whatever daemons are around the person.  After a while someone else walked by and spoke to the man who got up looking refreshed and they talked about the food he had there.  I waited and as I went back inside a woman approached me saying she had a young girl with her who was homeless and pregnant and did I have any food for her as well.  I said yes and got her some.

Our holy hour wasn't done so I went back inside and felt such grace wash over me I cried.  God does come to us in those close to us.

No comments: