Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Are we meant to be comfortable in our faith?

St Augustin said our hearts are restless until they rest in You.  But once we are with God are we meant to rest?  I think God calls us to be brave and to move out our comfort zone.  He shows us the way.  Crucifiction was outside of Our Lord's comfort zone.  I was once asked right before Mass to read and I chickened out.  I was too afraid to get up and read and to help out our priest.  He got someone else, but at the moment of consecration, the thought came to me that if He was willing to do that, couldn't I put myself out and read at Mass?

I firmly believe that if I am comfortable and not putting myself out for Him, I am probably doing my will and not His.  My will would involve a lot more solitude and I never would have chosen youth ministry.  For about 2 years I prayed to God for Him to send us a Youth Minister and tried to get others to take the job.  Then one day He made it possible for me to do the job.  I am an introvert and organizationally challenged, not the ideal person for ministry,but I feel God is calling me to grow.

In this Year of Faith we are being called to share our faith with our friends and family.  To think about our faith and discuss it with others.  When I tell people this they say aren't comfortable with that.  Talking to our young people I realize we forget to tell them why we believe and what our faith means to us.  If we don't pass on our faith it may die with us.  The funny thing is that there are those out there who don't think we should have the right to teach our faith to our kids.  They don't have to worry, we are too uncomfortable to do it.  Yes it's hard at first but they more we talk about our faith the easier it will get.  Then we will be ready to take on something else.

No comments: