Monday, November 12, 2012

ProLife vs Anti-Abortion, or what ProLife means to me

For me being Pro-Life is so much more than being against abortion.  Pro-life to me means being for all human life and for that life to worth living.  It means protecting life by protecting people from abuse and bullying.  It means allowing people to have meaning fulfilling work that pays them a living wage.  If they have emigrate to find that work, legally or illegally then so be it.

What good is it to save babies but allow people to die because they can't afford the medical treatment they need.  It happens today in our country.  I knew a lady who had broken both legs and they didn't heal.  She couldn't work so she lost her minimum wage job and her insurance.  When I met her she was cleaning apartments using a stool to get around.  Her legs weren't life threatening so she didn't qualify for emergency treatment.  She suffered for months before she got help for charities.

I believe that mt faith needs to color every aspect of my life.  For me believing life means being anti-abortion, but also being pro-mother.  If we took better care of one another there would be less abortion, less suicide, and less murder.

I challenge anyone who reads this to examine their lives (including me) to see if there are places in there lives where they are supporting the culture of death.  If you knew your favorite brand of something was produced in a sweatshop, would you stop buying it?  Would you pay more for one where workers are treated humanely?  Is there someone at work that you talk about behind their back?  If you knew how much it hurt them would you stop?  I am far from reaching the lofty goal of being prolife through and through, buti want to try.

No comments: