Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day

Unlike any other Election Day that I can remember, today will I think mark a change in our country.  My fear is that today we will split between those who win and those who lose.  This election has made me aware that I can be called on to do heroic things to save others from injustice.  I actually think we all are called and not just at times like these.  Now I can't go back.  I know I am called to dialog with people who out of fear and ignorance are lashing out at people who are different.

For me being prolife means that you have to be both against abortion and against raceism.  Neither "side" agrees totally with what I believe.  I have both pray at an abortion clinic and support life from conception to natural death and protect the rights of the living to fair treatment everywhere and if I see unfair treatment I have to do something about it.

If one side wins I am prepared to fight against and march against late term abortions while supporting the parents in their choice for life.  If the other side wins I may be called on to register as a Muslim even though I am a Christian or march against mass deportations.  But no matter which side wins I will support our democracy.  Supporting democracy is in my mind prolife as well.  Only with a strong government can we avoid the chaos we see in other countries.  Just because I support our nation doesn't mean I think it is never wrong and just because it can be wrong in some things doesn't mean it is wrong in all things.

By fighting for the rights of the underprivileged and the marginalized I protect the rights of all of us.  I understand as a white person the place of privilege that I have enjoyed but I know that the privilege I have had isn't necessary if we all have the same rights.  Privilege is only necessary when rights are unequally distributed.

All of what I believe comes from my faith in God and love of His creation.  I have to love, respect, and protect all of His creation.  I have to do this even at my own cost.

No comments: