Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I cry aloud to God,cry aloud to God that he may hear me. Psalm 77:1

Fear and uncertainty kept me awake last night.  This morning I knew that I had to get to Church early to sit with my Lord.  I know that I have to do whatever God asks me to do.  Out of love for others I am called everyday to do things that I am afraid of, not the least of which is teach a class of high school kids religion.  Today I realized in my heart that all the people who did great things in the past didn't do them without fear.  They may have had great faith and because of that trusted God, but I believe that they still had some fear.  So today I realized that you can still  do what God asks you to do if you are afraid so long as you trust in God and know you don't have to only trust yourself.

What will God ask me to do?  I don't know, only He knows the future.  I do know that I am called as are we all to protect the lives of others and to seek justice.  If I turn my back in fear on those who need my help then I am turning my back on the Beloved.  If I watch someone be discriminated against and do nothing then I do the same to Christ.  I may not participate myself in the injustice but if I do nothing to fight it I commit that sin out of omission.

I believe as Christians we are called to make this world better through love.  Can I love someone and watch them be denied basic rights and fair treatment?  Can I love God in all of His creation and accept privilege for my class merely because of my skin color and where I was born?  I don't think so.  I believe God will show me the path He wants me to walk, I believe that path will be a challenge for me, but I plan to obey His will and walk it even if I am a bit afraid.

No comments: