Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Lead me Lord

Oh Lord, show me what it is you want of me!

I feel a call to work for Social Justice but to do it in a Franciscan way.  To preach without words by my actions.  I don't mean by just treating people fairly, I mean by putting myself out there but to try to do it drinking from the well of inner peace that comes from God and to simply stand there peacefully and prayerfully.

I took part in a Black Lives Matter protest a while back.  We prayed, we sang, we hugged, and we prayed some more.  It was so peaceful and beautiful.  At the back of the protest was a group of white supremacists with guns.  We mostly ignored them and the eventually went away.  I hope that at least one of those young men questioned his beliefs about black people that day.  I got a lot of hassle from other people who found out I participated in the protest, I invited them to the next protest to see for themselves and added them to my prayer list.

I pray this is what God wants of me.  To do what I feel called to do and to not defend myself against those who don't understand but to pray for them and love them.  It is so hard, I want to live in God's peace and to have it fill my heart.  I would think that the way to get that is to stay home and pray, to be almost a hermit, but it doesn't seem to work that way for me.  My conscience will not let me stay away.  I wish that I could do more but I am so imperfect and a bit lazy.  May gOd give me the strength to do his will.

No comments: