Monday, January 9, 2017

Prolife can be confusing to some

When I hang out with my social justice friends they understand the dignity of life for those who are already born to some extent.  My conservative Christian friends understand the anti-abortion part of being prolife.  Only some Catholics I know understand my pro-life stance from conception to natural death, and what that entails.

Abortion should not be the cheapest and easiest solution for a woman with an unwanted pregnancy.  Our goal should be to make choosing life cheapest, easiest, and safest.  I never met a woman who had an abortion who wanted that abortion.  No one should ever feel that her only option is to kill her child.

Being Prolife doesn't end there, and it doesn't end with the boundaries of my country.   I am bound to try to respect the dignity of all people and to respect their lives.  This means a decent job with decent wages and benefits.  It means making sure they have their rights and they are respected.  It means helping people who need it.  Feeding the hungry, housing the homeless.

It also means at the end of life caring for elderly and dying in such a way that they don't need euthanasia.  They should die without pain and where they are comfortable and not alone.  To me this is Prolife.

No comments: