Thursday, March 28, 2013

Holy Thursday Reflection - Do This in Memory of Me

And so it starts.  The three holiest days of our year.  Tonight, we remember the institution of the Eucharist during which our Savior says to us all, "Do this in memory of me".  Of course He means the Eucharist, but doesn't He also mean the rest of it?

The first thing He did was wash the feet of the Twelve.  He does so much in that one act.  He the Teacher and Master becomes the servant.  We are all called to be servants, especially when we are called to lead, we are called to be servants.  He also purifies the Twelve and so are we called to work for the salvation of those around us.  He shows us that we can best do this in humility and through service.  He also washes the feet of Judas, the betrayer.  We are called to love not only those who are our friends but especially those who hate us and who hurt us.

He then gives us the gift of being eternally with us.  By that gift He pledges to stay by us and strengthen us.  He gives us His life.  We then have to be willing to give Him ours.  We are to feed the world with our lives.  Feed them spiritually and bodily.  The life lived to the other is the only true life.  It is a life of Love.  God is Love.  He gives us a new commandment, Love one another as I have loved you.  How did he love us?  He died for us, He gave His very body for us, He suffered for us.  We are called to do the same.  We may not be called to die for anyone or for God, but we still have to die to ourselves.  We can't just do it once, we have to do it day by day, minute by minute.

What is it that I need to die to?  It changes all the time.  But like many people I have my struggles.  Facing my demons is one way I can die to myself.  It's will be painful.  It is already.  But I am strengthened by Him who died for me.  I only have to die to myself and for that I get everything.  Everything that matters because I get love, the Beloved.

This night He gave us all we ever needed.  He shows us how to live a righteous life full of all He has to give us.

Help me Oh Lord to remember this night everytime I receive You.  Remind me Oh Lord that to live with You, I have to die with You.  Grant me Oh Lord the grace I will need to deny myself and walk with You.

No comments: