Monday, March 18, 2013

The Cross and true freedom

I have been watching Fr Robert Barrons Catholicism series and the most recent thing from that wonderful documentary that struck me the the idea that the picture of true freedom is the Crucifixtion.  Christ on the cross is perfect picture of detachment.  He freely chose to sacrifice Himself.  He freely chose to be powerless, naked, and without esteem.  Yet, he had all he wanted.

We often think of children as free, yet I look at the high school students I trach and I see them as probably the least free people I know.  They are so worried about their clothes and what people are saying about them.  They are not free.

How free am I then?  How much do I worry about what the people I know think of me?  Too much I am afraid.  St Francis was as free as anyone I've read about.  Maybe that is something the Holy Father is trying to show us.  That we need to detach our selves from the world, be poor in spirit and be free.  Joy comes with that freedom, and love.  Francis showed us that.  How can I be more free?  What can I detach myself from?  I'll have to think about that and pray.

No comments: