Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Place of Women in the Catholic Church or why I don't need you to save me from my faith

If I hear on more commentator say that The Church ignores 50% of the population I am going to scream!  And then I will pray for the person, I will pray that they will someday learn how wrong they are by being truly part of that church.

First of all, we are all built into the Church, the Body of Christ.  We are living stones in that Church.  As part of the body we are essential but different and each have our function.  The eye can not live without the mouth or the hand.  In the same way the eye can not decide to be the foot.  We all have a job to do in the Church and when we fail to do our job the Church is not as successful,  just because I am not a priest doesn't mean that I don't have an important part to play.

Frankly by telling me that half of the population is ingnored by the Catholic Church you demean the work I do and make me out to be an idiot who needs to be somehow saved from my faith.  I am obviously not smart enough to know that the ministry work I do is unimportant.  For all you women out there working on parish or liturgical councils, teaching CCD, visiting the sick, running food pantries, youth groups, etc you really aren't important to the Church.  All the Sisters who run hospitals, schools, nursing homes, and even the ones who question the clergy, they are saying you have no place either.

I know that even those without a formal title in the church who pray in the church and pass along the faith to their children are important.  Maybe even the most important, without  you the Church wouldnt need priests.  Those outside the faith don't understand.  Priests are important, without them we have no Mass, no Eucharist, the heart is gone, but they are not everything in the Church.  Those in the pews are not passive ,or shouldn't be.  Our faith is not something the Priests do to us, we participate in it.  So do me a favor, assume that as a woman I am smart enough to know what I am doing and that I don't need you to save me from my faith.  Learn about the Church before you talk about it and don't really on poorly catechised former Catholics.  I am not blind I know my Chuch has its faults, it's populated by very fallible human beings, but it is also amazingly beautiful.

No comments: