Saturday, December 3, 2016

Living Simply

Such an easy thing to say and yet so hard to do today.  What does it mean to love a simple life?  I think that it means to have only what we need and no more, but how much do we really need?  I need a reliable car but do I need a big red one with all the bells and whistles?  I need clothes of a certain kind for work, but how many, and do I have to have the latest style?  And does it do good to live simply if I long for more?

At times trying to live simply gives me great peace.  I have what I need and when I go to a store I don't want what is there.  I don't feel deprived I feel content.  These are usually times when I am praying more and spending time with the Beloved and doing His bidding.  There are times when I truly need something.  When I don't have enough warm clothes that fit me I feel deprived.  I think I start to not be content with what I have in general.  Then there are times when I get caught with p in the world and when I am worried.  Then I feel I have nothing and want everything.  I buy into the culture of things.

I get out of balance and all the "stuff" in the world will not fill me up.  I buy too much and eat too much and I am not satisfied.  Only by drawing closer to God can I regain the balance in my life.  Only then can can I live the simple life and have it give me joy.  People get it so wrong.  They try to live simply without God and it either becomes a burden or they use it as a boast.  They tell others all the time how much better their life is because they are doing I right and everyone else has to do it their way.  My way of living simply will most likely not work for you, you are different and need to find what works for you, just do it with God at the center.

No comments: