Thursday, December 22, 2016

Waiting for the Manger

This morning I had planned on spending time in front of our church's nativity scene.  I wanted to sit and gaze at the empty manger and anticipate the coming of the Lord.  I will have to do it tonight instead.  It is still dark out and the lights that shine on the scene go out before sunrise so it is too dark.  Instead I am left longing for the manger.  Waiting to see the baby Jesus there.  I close my eyes and I imagine what it sounded like with the animals there and what it smelled like.  Was there a little fire for the Holy Family to see by or just the moonlight?

 I ask Mary if I can hold our Savior.  He is so beautiful.  The funny thing is that the light that comes from Him illuminates the darkness in my soul so I ask Him to heal that darkness and I resolve to not do that sin anymore with His help.

Joseph is the one I feel closest to in the Holy Family, he is like me.  He wasn't conceived without original sin like Mary was and yet he was chosen by God.  God had a job for him to do and he said yes.  His yes may not have been as profound as Mary's yes in the salvation of the world but it was significant.

No comments: