Thursday, June 6, 2013

Help me Oh Lord to live each day as a Martyr

I have often thought that I could make the grand gesture of dying for my faith if called upon to.  I could give my life for God, but could I give my good opinion for God?  Am I willing to look foolish for God?  To do or not do what others think is not just right but smart?

How hard is it to be a martyr?  If we believe we will go to heaven and be acclaimed as saints which is harder, to live our lives in God everyday or to give up our lives for God all at once?  Frankly, I doubt that we would ever be asked to do the second one if we didn't do the first one.  The world looks at us like we are fools and even calls us fools to our faces because we don't live our lives like all we have is this life.  But even if this life was all there was I would rather live it in the love of God than in emptiness.

A life lived only for myself and my own pleasure would not be a life at all.  It would be too small.  I want to live my life in love.  To live a life in love is to live my life in the Beloved.  To live my life in Him is to die in Him, everyday, every moment.  Luckily because He is love, when I fail to live in love, He is all mercy.

No comments: