Saturday, April 4, 2015

Holy Saturday - Waiting

Of all the days of Holy Week, this is the one that I find the hardest to contemplate.  I know to a much smaller degree about suffering and watching someone you love suffer, so I have some small comprehension of Good Friday.  Not only that but I can sit with my Beloved on Holy Thursday and Good Friday, I can walk the Way of the Cross.  Holy Saturday is different, this is the day He wasn't here.  Our Lord was with the dead.  It seems so lonely.

I imagine the Apostles, still traumatized by the day before, many of them unhappy with how they had behaved, missing Our Lord.  Unlike me they didn't know tomorrow would be a day of joy.  They must have wondered, Jesus had mentioned things, hints.  Did they dare to hope at all?  Our Beloved Mother must have been with them, did she know?  I imagine this was a day of mourning.

We all spend today preparing for tomorrow.  This is a day of bunnies and pastel colors.  We cook and get ready to wear our new Easter clothes.  We should take some time today to remember a day where Our Lord was in hell and there was no Eucharist anywhere.  We were physically alone again.  We had had the God of the universe here with us but we killed Him, we got what we wanted.  No one to remind us that we should do better.  No one to show us that love isn't all hearts and good feelings but pain and suffering too.  Today is the day the world was empty.

There are many people in this world who want Holy Saturday to be everyday.  They want a world without God, claiming it would be a better place.  It would be a place where we would act better just because we wanted to.  A place somehow with out all the things we have now.  I think like Holy Saturday, it would be empty and full of mourning.  The thing I do know though is that no matter what there would still be an Easter Sunday.

No comments: