Thursday, April 23, 2015

Trusting in Christ - St Clare of Assisi's first letter to St Agnes of Prague

I am reviewing some of the writings of St Clare and St Francis this month because it is part of the formation of new Secular Franciscans and because as a Franciscan I need to from time to time.  Some of my favorite writings are the letters of St Clare to St Agnes.  They are so beautiful and full of truly passionate imagery.  From her letters you see that Clare was no repressed passionless nun, but a woman who's heart is full of love and passion for Christ.

In the first letter she explains to Agnes how she has chosen the better spouse.  She has given up the riches of Ceasar for the riches of Heaven.  This letter reminds me that detachment is not a giving up on the "good things" comfort, stability, self reliance, but a reliance on God.  If I rely on God, he will provide what I need and I don't need to worry about anything else.  The lack of worry then gives me freedom.  The lack of dependence on my self means that I can hold closer to God and respond quickly to what He asks of me.  The image of two fighters one clothed and one naked demonstrates this perfectly.  The naked hatred of the devil for us and all the worldly cares we clothes ourselves with hampers us in our fight with him.

I love the sort of poems embedded in the letter describing the Beloved and how He loves us and cares for us, they are like passionate love letters of any you g girl for her love.  We can love Christ that way.  We don't have to love Him in some detached distant, Oh yes, I love the Lord kind of way.  We can love Him deeply and passionately, and loves us in the same way.

I will continue to review the rest of the letters in the next week or so.  You can read all the letters at the link below.

http://www.franciscanfriarstor.com/archive/stfrancis/St_Clare_of_Assisi/stf_st_clare_of_assisi_writings.htm#The%20second%20Letter%20to%20the%20Blessed%20Agnes%20of%20Prague%C2%A0

No comments: