Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Gift

Tonight we commemorate the second greatest gift that Our Lord gave us, the gift of staying with us.  The greatest gift I'd the gift of salvation, but I think the second greatest gift is His presence in our churches.

We can come to Him at anytime and lay our burdens at His feet.  He is there for us just to look at and talk to, and adore.  He also comes to us and joins with us when we receive Him.  If we allow it, he will transform us with His gift.

I will never forget the first Holy Thursday Mass I attended.  We never went to these celebrations as a family growing up.  The first time I saw the tabernacle empty and the alter bare, it was a violent act to me.  I cried so hard.  He was taken from me.  At that time we didn't set up an adoration area, it was just empty.  Have you ever gone into a church and the light wasn't lit?  It feels empty, the Beloved is missing.

That night I had a small idea of how it must have felt for the Apostles.  Of course, I knew how it turned out so it wasn't so bad, but still it hurt.  Now we don't have to be without Him, He is in a little side area tonight.  We should sit with Him.  Remember, the one who suffered all those years ago, who went through all we are about to recall, is sitting there.  In a different spot than usual but it is still the one who was whipped, stripped, abused, tortured.  He heard our cries to crucify Him then and he hears it now.  He hears it as the Passion is read and in how we live.

Sit with Him tonight and do not fall a sleep as the Apostles did.  Stay awake and visit with Him.  Say the rosary do the stations but also just sit and talk to Him and listen, and think of the Gift He left for us.

No comments: