Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Complicit by Inaction

I heard a story recently about how Otto Frank tried to get visas to come to the US for his family but was denied because in 1924 the US changed its immigration policy due to the modern eugenics movement to limit the number of Jews coming into the US.  This is the same movement that inspired the Nazis.  So while the Nazis did the actual murder, the US was also complicit.

Our actions and policies here in the US have effects on people all over the world and we have to consider those effects.  Our inaction can also have the same effect.  It is hard to care day after day or even look at all the bombings in the Middle East, there are so many.  It is scary to invite them into our country on the chance that one single crazy will come to add to the ones we already have.  But to do so means we are responsible for the results of the actions we take or don't take.

It is overwhelming, what can I do?  First, I can pray.  Have I said a novena for Boko Haram or ISIS?  Have I prayed for the refugees?  Have I donated to causes to help them?  Have I voted for those who would help them?  Or am I scared and acting out of fear and hatred?

No comments: