Friday, March 11, 2016

Lord, teach me to be Generous

I truly believe that God can turn tragedy into victory.  I wonder how many people have been introduced to this beautiful prayer after our beloved Sisters of Charity were martyred?  How many of us have been challenged in the following days by the words the Sisters prayed daily?  I know I have.  I pledge to add this prayer to my daily prayers in part, in their honor and in part because I need it.

I am not generous by the standards of this prayer.  I count the cost, feel the wounds (if I had any), and I want to be recognized for even the smallest thing I do.  I am not generous, but I do believe that we are transformed by prayer, and I want to be generous.

Think of the number of people who will be transformed by the death of our Sisters, there is the victory.

Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.

No comments: