Monday, March 28, 2016

Reflections on a Meadow

When I look out into our beautiful chaotic world, I see order there.  It isn't the order imposed by man, it is a deeper order.  If anything the small order man tries to impose makes the world more chaotic and more ugly.  Look at a meadow, how it all works together.  It isn't a jumble of plants, it is an ecosystem that lives in harmony without our influence.  It is vibrant and full of life, everything interdependent on each other.  Life, death, and rebirth.  An animals droppings become the fertilizer for the seed eaten.  That grows into a tree that provides shelter and more seeds to those around it.  Then the death of the tree creates homes and fertilizes the soil.  I see God in that.

When I look at a garden I see our attempt at imitating God.  We impose our limited view of order.  We fail in that we only choose what is pleasing to us. We don't understand His creation fully so our garden needs our constant meddling.  Why aren't we happy with the world the way God made it?  Why do we think we know better?  We struggle against the Love he asks us to show each other as though my love for you will somehow diminish me.  We fear that God will as us to do something that others will laugh at, we think we are afraid of failure but I think that we are afraid more of looking like a fool.  St Francis was Gods fool.  I can't think of a better thing to be.

No comments: